Wednesday, July 17, 2013

In to everything - Part 2

Levi continues to be into everything. I spend my days following him from one thing he isn't allowed to do to another. He seems to know exactly where to find everything that we have put in a place that we think is out of his reach - we are learning "his reach" is way longer than we anticipated. He has been able to get things off higher shelves by standing on tip toes, not to mention learning to climb on objects to get to higher things. Today he figured out how to haul himself up onto the couch! Seriously!

We have an almost hourly melt down when I take him away from the kitchen cabinets that hold our heave casserole dishes and glassware. He is so dramatic! We have the door lock things on a few cabinets with the trash etc. but we will be investing in some for all the rest so that I don't have to be the bad guy all the time. I can't handle the tears and the "Mama, Mama" cries.

He is curious. A quality which will take him far I have no doubt but while his physical skills are still developing it will be a constant battle where we set limits for safety that get in the way of something he is wanting to do.

I love him with my whole heart, but he is a handful. He isn't a child you can leave to play quietly while you nip upstairs to change laundry or even pee for that matter. We have the stairs gated off even though he is pretty steady on his feet going up (and very fast!) and has picked up Jeremy's "come down the stairs backwards" lessons too. I am not comfortable with him going up and down at will. We and by that I mean me, because I am the one who is home all day, am looking for some indoor fencing to make a penned in area that works better than the ottomans we currently use because I would estimate we are just days, possible a week away from him figuring out how to pull himself up and over those, and I want to be prepared.

I feel as though we need to be three steps ahead at all times because sometimes he skips right over a learning step and just staying one ahead would not help us at all!

Levi goes to bed between 6 and 7 and on average he is asleep by 6.30pm. He is now (deliciously) sleeping through the night, and while this means he gets up usually around 6am (sometimes closer to 5.30am yawn) and while we have had friends suggest we move the bed time to see if he would sleep later - honestly, by 6.30 I am spent! I need him to go to bed then for my sake as much as his! Plus it means Jeremy and I have some good solid hours of kid free-ness and can still get to bed at a time which makes 6am not such a shock to the system when it comes around.

Levi still naps twice during the day as well for between 2 and 3 hours total. I think the amount he sleeps shows how hard he plays when he is awake! When its time for a nap he can barely keep his eyes open and the drama certainly heightens as he loses the ability to have any control of his emotions at all :)

I wouldn't trade me little fiddler for anything, I love to see his little mind thinking things through and watching as he tried different methods to try and accomplish a task.I am thinking we may have a little engineer or something on our hands in the future.

Below are pics of him when he figured out how to climb up on the couch all by himself - so proud! And also when he climbed on an old formula can (that he uses as a drum) to reach the next shelf! Stinker.

It's been lovely sitting here with my feet up, letting dinner go down and sharing some thought about our busy days, now if only I could figure out how to do this when Levi was around?! No such luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...