Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later...Remembering 9/11

I remember where I was in September 11th 2001. I remember feeling sick to my stomach watching the images on the planes flying into towers, but unable to turn them off. I remember watching live as the towers fell. I had never set foot on American soil at this point in my life. I had never heard of the World Trade Center Towers before but I knew that what was happening was changing the world as I watched it happen. remember feeling absolutely convinced that any moment, reports would come in that Tower bridge or Buckingham Palace had been hit, or the Sydney Opera house. I didn't feel removed from the attacks even though they were happening across the ocean. It felt very real and that my loved ones were at risk in the same way the people in New york were.

One year later, almost to the day (September 14th 2002) I flew on a plane for the first time and I landed on United States soil.

In the years since, I have made America my home.

On September 11th 2001 I watched beloved British reporters, wearing no make up because they went on air so fast, report tragic updates of planes crashing into buildings in a land far away. It was frightening to see these usually composed reporters struggling for words, tearful and in shock.

This year, on the ten year anniversary on the event I have been able to watch the live reports that were aired on the 9/11 from New York city. Yesterday, I watched the Today Show footage from that day. Suddenly I saw these events from the eyes of America. I thought I had seen all the footage, but there was some I hadn't seen before. Honestly, I think I still have a sense of complete disbelief that it happened at all.

The tragedy of 9/11 is a reminder that we have to embrace the days we have on earth and make the most of our time here. Today I will hug my loved ones tighter and love them harder. I will say a prayer for all of those who have lost their lives at the hands of terrorists including those who died in the 9/11 attacks and for the families who lost their loved ones. I will live life to the fullest and look for beauty all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...