Thursday, September 2, 2010

Greater things are yet to be done in this city


Last weekend at church, we sang a song that just gave me chills. I felt the holy spirit moving deeply within me as I sang the words, "greater things are yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city."

My love of singing is is sort of an in-joke between God and I. In the shower, or while I cook or clean I blare the Hillsong station on Pandora and have a beautiful noise to God's ears. If others, including my husband hear it, they do not understand just how beautiful off a noise it is to our Lord. But I just smile. God knew that music would be the tool he would use to turn my heart and eyes back to him and to the truths of scripture. I love to sing for him.

When I first come to the city of Seattle, across the water on the ferry, I stepped onto the streets and felt like I was home. Something so familiar took over me. I had no idea at the time the role this city would play in my life but I felt certain God was on the move in my heart in a powerful way from that first moment. Almost 8 years later to the day, I am still here. Married. Home owner. Firmly planted in this city.

Working with YWAM provided many opportunities to serve in the city in a very practical way. I worked with the homeless and with refugees. I could see God using me very clearly in the lives of these people in very practical ways as well as trusting Him to be moving in much deeper ways.

Every city has strongholds that the enemy has really established. Seattle is no exception. We have a high population of homeless youth, broken children who have been abused. There is a lot of racial tension in parts of our city and this brings violence and fear. There are many other things that are heavy burdens for Seattle, but this song reminded me that God is the God of every person in Seattle and he is not done here yet.

When Jesus returns, a new earth will begin. I don't believe we will be rushed off to a place full of clouds and sparkles, I believe this new earth will be this earth restored to glory. Relationships will be restored, depression will lift, addiction will be no more and we will see the beauty of God everywhere. Until that day, as believers it is our responsibility to serve and love this city. We must not separate ourselves but love our city, build relationships with the values of Christ. Being examples of Christ to a city that needs Him so badly.

This is not a new idea. In the Bible, Jeremiah gave this message to Israel during their captivity in Babylon championing them to truly be a part of the city that they has found themselves for this season.

"Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food you produce . Marry, and have children...[And] work, for the peace and prosperity of Babylon. Pray to the Lord for the city where you are held captive, for if Babylon has peace, so will you."
Jeremiah 29:5-7

I love this verse and the reminder to pray for my city, the place I call home. I know that God is moving here and I long to be a part of what he is doing. O Lord let me have eyes and ears open to what part I am to play and give me a heart willing to be obedient.

What a great reminder, and may this song stir your heart to prayer today for the city you love.

3 comments:

  1. We just sang this at youth group last night. It's songs like this that I love b/c of their amazing language and the wonderfulness of how they're written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chrissie! How fun that your fam is coming for a visit! I hope you enjoy your decorating. I'm sure they'll love an "American" Fall! I can't imagine this time of the year w/o pumpkins :-). You're right...Christmas will be here before we know it! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello over at WP today. I always love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chrissie,
    Thank you for stopping by the blog today, and thank you for sharing what you did. I'm so sorry for what you've been through and for what you continue to face -- for the questions that loom as dark clouds overhead and there are no answers spoken when you ask "Why?" in the quiet of your soul.

    Though the things cause our pain are different, we both have hearts that ache deeply for our children. That is a common thread between us.

    May you also find a deep and abiding peace today, and from the depths of your soul know His goodness.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...