Saturday, April 2, 2011

Getting a little crafty

It has been a while since I have had a fun craft project to work on. We have been a little distracted with more large scale re-decorating as we have tried to finish the fireplace remodel and re paint our TV room and kitchen. It is almost done. so close I can taste it, but there are some final things to sand and finish so I will do an unveiling as soon as it's completed!

As you know we have started taking the Financial Peace University class at our church. It has been great, and we are learning a lot but and now we have a budget. Perhaps that should read, but now we have a budget, because now I am so aware of each penny that it is much harder to just go and buy things because they look pretty.

My parents are coming to visit next month and I want our guest room to be welcoming. We did a big push to get walls painted and such like before they visited last autumn but since then it has had little attention. I had grand plans for all that I wanted to do in there but so far they have not come to pass.

We chose a lemon yellow for the walls and the room looks fresh and clean. I have accented with black and white bedding which I love! I have a dresser that I want to paint and a chair that was last summers project that has now been sitting half finished in our garage since the sun went away! They will be the basic components of the space, but I still needed some things for the walls.

My first idea was to go and find something at Target that would make the walls a bit more friendly, but with the budget very much in the forefront of my mind, I fist took a look in my craft closet to see if there was anything I could make work for free!

I came across these mirrors that I had bought from Ikea many moons ago. I used to have them in my room when I lived in my old house, but they have not known any love since we moved in here. I suddenly remembered the really cool wrapping paper I had that is grey and black and would totally be a match for the colours in the room, and I decided to do a little decoupage. I had some Mod Podge, so I didn't have to purchase anything for this project. It was pretty convicting that I am too quick to buy something new and much, much too slow to see if I have something that would work. Lesson learned, I hope.

So tools gathered, I got to work.
The mirror started off like this,

A little while later it looked like this,

And later still it looked like this, Ta- Daa!!

Tomorrow I am going on a hunt for some black ribbon to hang them up, I can just picture them on the wall. And with this project under my belt I am inspired to finish the others!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...