Thursday, March 28, 2013

Homemade Teething Biscuits

Levi loves to feed himself and he does really well with bigger things such as slices of toast (soldiers, for the Brits that are reading)...he is also pretty good at "eating" non-food items such as the remote control :)

He is working on his fine motor skills, maneuvering Cheerios or small pieces of banana from the tray to his mouth, but he is loving his new found food independence, even though I feel very lucky that he will still willingly take the pureed fruits, veggies and grains from a spoon. I am sure it's going to get way more messy when he takes charge of the spoon so I'll take his willingness to be fed for as long as he has it!

I had bought him some rice teething crackers and they were really convenient to give him to help when his teeth were bugging him or to tide him over between feeds, but I did wonder if there was a more natural alternative to these highly processed, overly packaged (why do they do that?) crackers. I Googled my heart out and found a bunch of recipes to try. I happened to have all the ingredients for this recipe so I whipped up a batch during Levi's nap yesterday.

It was super easy and has only a few ingredients. It's nice to know exactly what is in the food he is eating.

Ingredients:
1 Cup baby rice cereal
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil ( I am sure other oils would work too)
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 Banana mashed
4-6 Tbsp water

Put everything in a bowel and mix together. I used my hands to work it into a dough. Roll it out onto a floured surface to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick and cut out cookies. Put them on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Simple as that. I used a square cutter to make the ma good size and shape for Levi to hold onto but you could play with cutter shapes. It made 18 good sized cookies. It got this little guy's seal of approval :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...