Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Summer Cherry Salsa


This is not a meal but it is a fantastic, refreshing and summery snack treat. I am a big fan of making salsa with different fruits and vegetables. Last year my strawberry avocado was a big hit at summer BBQ's! This year however, my absolute favourite summer fruit, the cherry, has top billing.

I know this recipe might seem a little strange, but as I have said before, trust me. It is DELICIOUS.
While it is totally possible to make this without a cherry pitter I can never go back now I have found how handy this little gadget is. As I mentioned, cherries are my fave and we get through many a pound, in pies and cobblers and just munching through the summer and so it was a great investment!



Ingredients

1 lb sweet dark cherries
3/4 C red onion, diced in 1/8-inch pieces
6 T Balsamic vinegar
1-2 jalapeno peppers, depending on how hot you like it. I only used half a pepper, seeded and minced.
1 C basil leaves, finely chopped
1 C Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
3/4 tsp sugar

Directions
In a small bowl, combine onions with vinegar and let mellow for 20-30 minutes. Wash, stem, pit and quarter the cherries. Combine the cherries with the vinegar mixture and remaining ingredients.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy.

(Recipe from the Full Circle Farm newsletter, July 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...