Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making the space to be still


For all those who had trouble sleeping last night because of the cliff hanger I let yesterday, please fret no more. I have a sparkling clean bathroom, complete with clean smell. I just love that. Now, no one better think of using it. There's plenty of other bathrooms people keep movin'.

Christmas tree down, and only 5 days into the new year my desire to be intentional in life to make things happen has hit a wall. Well sort of. I had found myself flagging in the productivity department and thriving in the distraction one. I guess it's only to be expected with all that momentum built up! I was so mad at myself and my sloth yesterday. BUT I put the frustration to good use and I made a chart. I used coloured markers and everything. This morning when I woke up, I had goals. To be intentional was way easier when I had planned ahead. Broken down my goals to manageable pieces. I even put in some blogging time! There is of course flexibility but I truly believe that over time having more structure will lead to better habits. These better habits will allow what I do in my days to better reflect the priorities I say are important in my life.

I love that this quarter my classes are human nutrition and cultural anthropology both of which have started with pretty full on schedules, but I'm looking forward to learning.

I see how the distractions in life can take me away from the purpose God gives me each day. In the tough season we are in right now, part of me wants to just hide. To let the noise of the TV, radio, conversation fill my mind and keep the sad thoughts and disappointment from coming to my consciousness. Or coming in a way that needed to be recognised at least. The noise becomes a comfort. A safe place for me to be and pretend everything is alright. But when all around is noisy, I lose the peace my heart is really seeking, and I prevent my spirit from listening to God's voice. I flail, arms and legs not staying inside the car, desperate for direction, unable to be still.

I am hopeful that my coloured marker schedule will provide that space to be quiet, to hear God, to be purposeful, not wasteful with my time.

"This is my prayer today
Lead me in the right path, O Lord,
or my enemies will conquer me.
Tell me clearly what to do,
and show me which way to turn."
Psalm 5:8

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment darlin, it made me smile :) And I can't believe how organized you are with your colored markers and everything! You rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissie,
    Sounds like you've got your organized self headed into the New Year on the right foot! I love your "next step" analogy. It's a great one to remember. Oh, and btw, your post about community was truly inspiring. Isn't amazing how surrounding ourselves with others can take our eyes (and pity party) so completely off ourselves?! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where's the picture of the colored marker schedule?
    you make me giggle!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...