Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Lentil Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Mash

In recent weeks, I have not had much of an appetite. Which is strange, because I has been paired with the most intense hunger I have ever had. Happily though, the clouds have lifted in this particular area recently and I have been excited to step back into the kitchen and actually prepare food I feel good about putting in my body, to grow my baby! And this is where another new love enters the picture, Pinterest. I have loved browsing recipes and this one stood out in particular (originally from Simplebites.net). On Saturday when my bestie was over for dinner I thought it was a perfect opportunity to try it out. (Thanks for being a guinea pig, Linds!)

Turns out it was scrummy! Very simple, and fairly inexpensive but really tasty. Turns out that it is not as good when it's reheated as leftovers, but I would make this again for us or for us or for company. Try it for yourselves, you won't be sorry!

No pictures, sorry! But if you follow me on Pinterest you can see one there.

Lentil Shepherd's pie with sweet potato mash

1 cup lentils, green or French, rinsed
2 lbs potatoes or sweet potato (I used 3 large potatoes and 1 sweet potato)
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspooon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon ketchup
5 drops Tabasco sauce - I used double this, and if I made it again I would add even more, I think it an take it.
1 cup frozen sweet corn
Salt and pepper

method:

Place lentils in a medium pot and cover with an inch of cold water. Add a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes until cooked. It is okay if they are not completely cooked, they will cook further later. Drain.
While lentils are cooking, peel and roughly chop potatoes. Place in a pot and cover with cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
Drain potatoes and mash. Add butter and milk and season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium pot and add chopped onion. Sautée for a few minutes until soft. Add cumin, thyme, cooked lentils, vinegar, ketchup, tabasco sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
Add 1/2 cup of water and bring lentils to a simmer. Cook for another five minutes or so, stirring often, to let the flavors come together.

Assembly:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place seasoned lentils in the bottom of a medium baking dish. Spread to cover the bottom. Top with corn kernels. Add mashed potatoes on top and spread evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes until heated through. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something my DH would love! Thanks again for your sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...