Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First prenatal doula visit

Sun is shining and it's a good day.
It got off to a fairly early start because we had an 8am meeting scheduled with our doula, laurie. I woke up really early feeling well rested and ready to go - a strange side effect of pregnancy that I wouldn't mind sticking around afterwards, I am not a morning person usually so this recent change is a welcome one.
I put on coffee and set out juice and fruit and anticipated her arrival.

It all seems so surreal.

We really like her a lot and so the couple of hours passed quickly as we talked and laughed and made decisions about some of the details of our birth experience. Until now I have read books about getting pregnant, and books about parenting, but I have somewhat intentionally avoided books about the birth itself. I was anxious that details would freak me out more than simple ignorance.

It was only a couple of nights ago that I thought to myself, "we should really find out some more about what this birth thing is going to be like." It was after J said in a very serious voice, as we were about to fall asleep, "I mean, what would we do if you went into labor right now? I mean, I have no idea what I would do, what would I do? What am I supposed to do? Anyway, goodnight"

Of course he was able to fall asleep in about 2 minutes while I lay there going over his questions and realising that I had no idea either!

All that to say, this meeting with Laurie was perfect timing, and gave a perfect amount of information. I feel prepared at an appropriate level for being 3 months away from my due date, but I feel empowered, and almost giddy excited about it. The fear has dissipated as the reality that this is what will get my boy into my arms, becomes more real.

No denying it now, it's going to happen.

And now, in the vein of yesterdays post, and my goal to get out am move each day. I'm going to head into the sunshine and take a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...